We all know the common adage of “Curiosity killed the cat,” well, it really is true if we do not know what to feed them and what not to feed them. Pets are naturally curious by nature. All of us have experienced playing tug of war with our pets with something they just put into their mouths. But we really can’t blame them now, can we? As pet owners, we should be responsible enough to know what we should feed our pets and be informed of the toxic foods that might potentially harm our dogs and cats fatally.
That is why we are here to give you the top ten toxic foods NOT to feed your four-legged companion for all the right reasons. Be guided with this article so you won’t have to search for Google every time you are unsure with what your pet just ate.
Top Ten Toxic Food Guide for Pets
Pet owners love chocolate, but pets? We’re sorry, but chocolate is really harmful to pets! Chocolates contain various levels of fat, caffeine, and the substance, methylxanthines. Depending on the amount of chocolate your pet consumed, it may experience urination, diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, and seizures. One tip to remember is that the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is to your pets.
Some people they can’t get on with their day without caffeine, consider the opposite for your pets. Anything containing caffeine like coffee, tea, dietary pills, and energy drinks are all toxic for your pets. If consumed, it directly affects your pet’s intestines, nervous system, heart, and stomach. Symptoms of caffeine consumption in pets include muscle twitching, seizures, hyperactivity, restlessness, increased heart rate, etc.
It might be a little tempting to share your ice cream with your pet on a hot day, but it is a big no! Milk and milk-based products can cause digestive issues like diarrhea on your pet. Especially in adult dogs wherein they lack lactase which is necessary for digesting milk. However, there are safe choices when it comes to this, just ask your veterinarian. There are also dog-friendly ice creams and alternatives to milk you can safely feed your pets.
Another beverage humans love to consume! However, if consumed by pets, it can rapidly spread into their bloodstream and affect them quickly. Animals intoxicated by alcohol can experience failure in their respiratory system and seizures. Moreover, if ingested by our pets can cause massive drops in body temperature, blood sugar, and blood pressure. Be careful with foods with alcohol secretly added to it for these are the leading causes of alcohol consumption in pets.
Found in many food substances in which some types of nuts are toxic when eaten by our pets. Almonds, pistachios, and some types of walnuts can be a cause of your pet’s upset stomach and obstruction of their throat and intestinal tract. Macadamia nuts can cause toxic poisoning. Some common signs of nut consumption include lethargy and loss of muscle control. Research first on what nuts are safe for pet consumption.
Fresh foods like meat, fish, and even eggs contain bacteria that may cause severe food poisoning in pets and also in humans. Fish like salmon, sturgeon, trout, and shad may carry a parasite that causes ‘fish disease.’ The disease can be fatal to your pet if not treated within two weeks. Common first symptoms of the disease include fever and vomiting. Make sure that you thoroughly cook the fish before feeding it to your pets.
The most common problem with fruits is their pits or seeds. Even humans can relate this, right? But it is even more dangerous for our pets. Peaches, persimmons, and plums can cause inflammation of the small intestine in dogs and intestinal obstruction. More so, pits from plums and peaches contain cyanide, a chemical which is poisonous to both pets and pet owners! Slice this fruits carefully and make sure to remove the seed before pet consumption. Raisins and grapes have also been known to cause acute renal failure in dogs.
An ingredient called thiosulphate is very lethal when consumed by dogs and cats. This substance can be found in onion, chives, shallots, onion powder and very potent in garlic. It can cause your PETA condition called ‘hemolytic anemia’ as the substance directly affect and damage the red blood cells. Even small amounts are already toxic to your pets! Symptoms of this condition include weakness, increased respiratory rate, exercise intolerance, pale gums, and lethargy to name some.
Be careful in adding spices next time you feed your pet!
Xylitol may be beneficial for a person with diabetes, but really dangerous for your pets. Commonly found as a sugar substitute in sugarless gum, mouthwashes, and toothpaste of all kind, chewable multi-vitamins, and cough medicine, xylitol is severely toxic for your dog and cat. Ingestion of this can cause a rapid release of insulin which may result in hypoglycemia and may further result in weakness, vomiting, and seizures. In extreme cases, it may even cause liver failure.
The next time you are planning to bake and leaving the dough to rest, be mindful of your pets! Yeast dough if consumed by dogs and cats can expand in your pet’s stomach and intestines. As the yeast ferments, it will release gas which may result in nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and even a fatal twisted stomach. Furthermore, some yeast dough ferments into alcohol which is also really dangerous for your pets. Make sure to place your dough in a place wherein it is unreachable for your pets to avoid this.
As pet owners, we must not only provide love, care, and shelter to our pets. We must also be responsible for feeding them. Just because we love them so much, does not mean we forget that we have a responsibility to take care of their lives. May this handy food guide help you the next time you feed your pets.s
Comments will be approved before showing up.