Picking a Comfy Blanket for Your Horse
Yee-haw! Time to rise and shine and play that Old Town Road song again because today, we are going to talk about horse blankets and how to find the comfiest among them. Just like humans, horses need blankets as well to keep them warm and safe during the colder months. But you don’t just pick any blanket randomly out from the shop. In fact, there are several factors that come into play when selecting the comfiest horse blanket, and these are:
- The first step in finding the comfiest blanket for your horse is knowing the exact measurement. You don’t have to assume the size of your horse. Just like us, measurement plays a vital role in selecting apparel, and it stays true for horses as well. To measure your horse for a blanket, all you need to do is wrap a tape measure starting from its chest, around its butt cheeks, and back to its chest. Measurement should be in inches, and once you’re done, that measurement will be your horses’ blanket size.
Horse Summer Protection Mesh Full Neck Blanket
Waterproof Warm Horse Blanket
Type of Blanket
- Horse blankets don’t only come as one size fits all. There are three types of horse blankets, and these are:
- Stable blankets
- Turnout blankets
- Horse sheets
- Each of them serves a different purpose, which gets us to point number three.
Waterproof Thermal Horse Cotton Blanket
Durable Outdoor Horse Clothes With Removable Harness
Where to Use Such Blanket
- If your horse is going to spend the coming months inside the barn, then you better opt for a Stable blanket. Stable horse blankets are meant to be worn inside the barn, providing them with warmth and comfort. On the other hand, Turnout blankets come in handy when your horse is spending more of its time outside. Turnout blankets are specially designed for outdoor use and are made to be waterproof. If multi-purpose is your cup of tea, then Horse sheets is just what you need. Horse sheets are made to be worn for both indoors or outdoors, which provides comfort for your horse.
- Diving a bit further, it’s essential to know what are the advantages of each horse blanket we have described above.
- Stable blanket – This blanket is made from cotton or nylon-cotton blend, which provides warmth for your horse and because of its high stuffing material. A stable blanket is only meant for indoor use, mainly to keep your horse clean and pests at bay.
- Turnout blanket – On the other hand, turnout blankets are specially made for outdoor uses. Its purpose is to keep your horse dry and comfy outside the barn. Turnout blankets with a higher “stuffing” material are ideal for colder season use as it provides warmth and comfort to your horse. The same goes for stable blankets as well. The higher the stuffing, the warmer it gets.
- Horse sheets – Aside from blankets, horse sheets are the “alternate” version of such. They are made from lighter materials and can be used for both indoor and outdoor depending on your liking. Some horse sheets come with unique features such as UV sun protection and pest control.
Strength and Durability
- When it comes to measuring a blanket’s strength and durability, “denier” is used as a unit of measurement. Denier is the thread’s thickness, meaning, the thicker the thread, the more durable a blanket is. Blanker denier can range from 70 up to 2400.
Find Items for other animals as well by keeping tuned with the PetClever